Wilmington, OH asked in Civil Rights, Constitutional Law and Land Use & Zoning for Ohio

Q: How would I know if my village water company is in violation of the fair housing act?

I feel like I'm being treated unfairly by my local water company

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: To determine if your village water company is violating the Fair Housing Act, you need to consider whether their actions involve discrimination based on race, color, national origin, religion, sex, familial status, or disability. The Fair Housing Act primarily addresses housing discrimination, but if the water company's actions indirectly affect housing rights or are part of broader discriminatory practices in housing, there could be a violation.

Ask yourself if the unfair treatment you're experiencing is based on any of these protected classes. Are others in similar situations being treated differently? Document any instances of unequal treatment, as specifics will be crucial for any legal assessment.

If you suspect a violation, you can file a complaint with the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). They investigate claims of discrimination under the Fair Housing Act. Additionally, consulting with an attorney experienced in civil rights or housing law can provide more personalized guidance based on the specifics of your situation. An attorney can help clarify if the actions of the water company fall under the purview of the Fair Housing Act and advise on the best course of action.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.