Cincinnati, OH asked in Collections and Small Claims for Kentucky

Q: I received a letter from the Kentucky Labor cabinet, stating that I owe $6,000 for overpayment of unemployment benefits,

it says I need to pay in full or minimum monthly payment of $250 by December 10th, or will put a lien on my social security number. my question is, How long does that process actually take for them to put a lien on my social security #? I don't want them to take my income taxes. I'm a single mother, &desperately counting on them this year to pay back rent that I promised my landlord. Thank you So much for your help!

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Barry W. Kaufman
Barry W. Kaufman
  • Collections Lawyer
  • Jacksonville, FL

A: There's no real way to know how long this action would take, because we're talking about government. however, you should assume now that that your tax refund will be taken by the state. If nothing else, pay the first $250.00 because that might delay things a bit. Figure out an alternative to getting your LL the rent.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.