Sacramento, CA asked in Federal Crimes, Civil Rights and Native American Law for Oklahoma

Q: If a case is to be heard in a district federal court, but the defendants are considered "assigned" to the district

Under certain commissions, therefore are sometimes witnesses to prosecuting cases, is that enough to file in a separate district or as an original proceeding in the tenth circuit?

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Civil Rights Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: In the scenario you're describing, where defendants are frequently involved in prosecuting cases in a specific district federal court, concerns about potential conflicts of interest or bias might arise. These concerns can be a valid basis to request a change of venue or to file in a different district.

However, simply being 'assigned' to a district or having a role as witnesses in prosecutions does not automatically qualify as a sufficient reason for such a change. The decision to grant a change of venue or to allow filing in a different district or circuit court depends on demonstrating that a fair and impartial trial cannot be held in the original venue.

If you believe there's a significant conflict of interest or bias, you should file a motion to change venue, outlining your concerns and reasons why a different district or circuit would be more appropriate. This motion would typically be filed in the original district court where the case is set to be heard.

It's crucial to provide concrete evidence or arguments to support your claim that a fair trial cannot be ensured in the original venue. The decision will ultimately be at the discretion of the court, based on the evidence and arguments presented.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.