Los Angeles, CA asked in Criminal Law and Gov & Administrative Law for California

Q: I just got out of jail and my first name is misspelled wrong and how do I go about getting my ID or birth certificate

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: In California, if your first name is misspelled on your ID or birth certificate, you'll need to correct this through the appropriate government agencies. For your ID, you should contact the California Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). For your birth certificate, you'll need to reach out to the California Department of Public Health – Vital Records (CDPH-VR).

To correct your name on your ID, visit a DMV office with your current ID and any supporting documents that show your correct name, such as a birth certificate or court order. You'll need to fill out the necessary forms and may be required to pay a fee.

For your birth certificate, you'll need to request a correction through the CDPH-VR. This typically involves submitting a notarized sworn statement and the required fee, along with any supporting documentation that verifies your correct name. Detailed instructions and forms are available on the CDPH-VR website.

It's important to start with your birth certificate, as this document is often required to correct your name on other forms of identification. Once your birth certificate is corrected, it will be easier to update other documents. If you encounter difficulties or need further assistance, consider reaching out to legal aid organizations in California that can provide guidance specific to your situation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.