Islip, NY asked in Employment Law, Personal Injury, Civil Rights and Communications Law for New York

Q: I was in a private meeting with my staff and she recorded our conversation. I was terminated for saying something bad.

My staff recorded me without my knowledge and it was used it to terminate me. I said something inappropriate and was used to terminate me. Is this lawful, can I sue my employee?

1 Lawyer Answer

A: New York is a one-party consent state meaning that you can record conversations if you're physically in the state and are a party to the conversation or if you have permission from one of the parties in the conversation. If neither of the parties to the conversation have consented then it is a Class E felony. I would contact in New York attorney to discuss your options

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.