Seattle, WA asked in Civil Rights and Education Law for Washington

Q: If I am actively trying to file a complaint with my school for violating my ADA should I continue to sign documents

I am mot sure what documents I am signing that my school is sending me while I am actively in the process of finding a lawyer to help with a violation of my ADA. Can I hold off on any further signing and would I be dropped from school for this

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Civil Rights Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: If you're in the process of filing a complaint against your school for violating the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and are unsure about the documents your school is asking you to sign, it's generally advisable to refrain from signing until you fully understand their content and implications.

You have the right to review and understand any documents before signing them, especially in a situation involving potential legal action. It's important to know what each document entails and how it might affect your rights or position in the complaint process.

Seeking legal guidance as soon as possible is a good step. An attorney can help you understand the documents and advise you on the best course of action, ensuring that your rights under the ADA are protected.

In terms of your concerns about being dropped from school for not signing the documents, this depends on the nature of the documents and the school's policies. However, if these documents are directly related to the ADA complaint, your rights under the ADA and other applicable laws should protect you from retaliatory actions such as being unjustly dropped from school.

Communicate with your school about your need for time to review the documents and consult with a lawyer. Clear communication can help ensure that your rights are respected while you seek legal advice.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.