Houston, TX asked in Foreclosure, Domestic Violence, Divorce and Family Law for Texas

Q: Exhusb got house in divorce, I'm domestic violence survivor. He was suppose to sell give $10,000 per divorce decree.

He never did he made me sign quit claim said now I'm off loan. He lied to me to refinance. He died house in foreclosure. Can I do anything?

1 Lawyer Answer
John Michael Frick
John Michael Frick
  • Frisco, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: If the statute of limitations has not expired, you can sue your ex-husband's estate for the $10,000 you were supposed to receive.

Whether the statute of limitations has expired depends on the language of your divorce decree. Typically, a decree will set a within which a spouse is ordered to sell. Sometimes, however, a decree does not set a specific time. In that instance, a reasonable time is implied by law. What constitutes a reasonable time depends upon the facts and circumstances of your particular case. The statute of limitations is two years and began to run either on the date when the specific time set by the decree expired or when a reasonable time lapsed.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.