Woodstock, VA asked in Business Law, Civil Rights and Consumer Law for Virginia

Q: Can a hotel refuse accommodations because I live in the same county as the hotel?

They state they don't allow county residents to stay at the hotel because of previous issues. I have never had issues with this company though.

1 Lawyer Answer
T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Las Vegas, NV

A: In Virginia, a hotel refusing accommodations based on residency within the same county may raise legal questions related to business practices and potential civil rights implications. Generally, businesses have the right to refuse service, but such decisions should not violate anti-discrimination laws. If the hotel's policy disproportionately affects residents of a specific county and is not based on legitimate concerns or previous issues specific to individuals, it could potentially be challenged.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.