Yucca Valley, CA asked in Family Law, Juvenile Law and Adoption for California

Q: If my brother adopted my children in juvenile dependency court, is there any way to get visits through family law?

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: In California, if your brother has adopted your children through juvenile dependency court, the situation regarding visitation rights can be complex.

After an adoption is finalized, the legal relationship between the biological parents and the children is typically severed, and the adoptive parents gain full parental rights. This means that any visitation rights you previously had would usually cease.

However, there are instances where post-adoption visitation agreements are made. This usually happens when it's deemed to be in the best interest of the children, and both the adoptive parents and the biological parents agree to it.

It's crucial to approach this delicately, prioritizing the well-being of the children. You might want to discuss this possibility with your brother to see if a mutually agreeable arrangement can be made.

If an agreement can be reached, it's advisable to formalize it legally. This can be done through family law court, where a judge can issue an order that outlines the terms of visitation.

Remember, each case is unique, and the possibility of securing visitation rights through family law depends on specific circumstances. Consulting with a lawyer who is experienced in family law can provide guidance tailored to your situation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.