Taylor, MI asked in Estate Planning and Probate for Michigan

Q: In Michigan, may the spouse have the deceased spouse's mail forwarded?

Spouses were living separately. Can the wife have her deceased spouse's mail forwarded to her home?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: In Michigan, as in most states, the process of handling a deceased person's mail is governed by specific legal and postal regulations. As a spouse, you have certain rights, but these need to be navigated carefully, especially if you were living separately at the time of your spouse's passing.

To have your deceased spouse's mail forwarded to your home, you would typically need to provide the postal service with appropriate documentation. This might include a copy of the death certificate and documentation proving your authority to manage the deceased's affairs, such as a letter of administration or similar legal document.

It's important to remember that mail forwarding in the context of a deceased individual is not always straightforward. There might be specific legal considerations, particularly if there is a will, an estate plan, or if there are other parties involved, such as executors or beneficiaries.

Consulting with an attorney can provide you with guidance on how to proceed. They can help ensure that you are taking the right steps in accordance with both state law and postal regulations.

Remember, handling the affairs of a deceased spouse can be complex, particularly when it comes to legal and administrative matters. Seeking professional advice can help you navigate these challenges effectively and in accordance with the law.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.