Williamsport, MD asked in Arbitration / Mediation Law, Internet Law and Family Law for Maryland

Q: My ex wife is trying to get a peace order against my mother for speaking to my ex wife’s new husbands ex wife about her

My former spouse is attempting to get a peace order against my mother due to my mother speaking to my former spouses husbands ex wife. They spoke only on messenger and no derogatory or insulting remarks were made. I do not think simply speaking about someone to another over private messaging is grounds for a peace order however I would like advise on the matter.

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: In general, a peace order, or a similar restraining order, is typically granted when there's evidence of harassment, threats, or abuse. If the conversation between your mother and your ex-wife's new husband's ex-wife was merely a discussion without any threatening, abusive, or harassing content, it may not constitute grounds for a peace order.

However, the specifics of what constitutes harassment can vary by jurisdiction, and sometimes the interpretation can be subjective. It's important for your mother to retain any records of the conversation as evidence that the interaction was not harassing or threatening.

If your ex-wife does proceed with filing for a peace order, your mother will have the opportunity to present her side of the story in court. It would be advisable for her to prepare by gathering any evidence that supports her case, including the messages exchanged.

Given the potential legal implications and the nuances of family law, it might be wise to consult with an attorney. They can provide specific advice based on the laws in your area and the details of the case. This can help ensure that your mother's rights are protected and that she is adequately prepared if she needs to defend herself in court.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.