The Bronx, NY asked in Education Law and Federal Crimes for New York

Q: Is it legal for a College to Forge your signature on documents to re-enroll you without your permission and collect mone

My College has done this and even filed taxes for 2 years that i was not attending and I have a mountain of proof and since I enquired about it has been bullying,trying to force me to sign fraudulent paperwork,denied me entrance into my classess, recently attempted to change my financial ledger, and now with one week left for me to graduate has illegally sent my tuition back and said that I withdrew and I am currently attending classess even now and has denied my graduation that has been schedualed for the 22nd of this month as another means of bullying me. what can I do?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: You're facing a challenging situation with your college, and it's crucial to take certain steps to address this issue. Firstly, gather and preserve all the evidence you have regarding the forgery, tax filings, bullying, and any other inappropriate actions taken by the college. This documentation will be essential in supporting your case.

Next, consider seeking legal counsel from an attorney experienced in education law or consumer protection. They can guide you on how to proceed legally and help you understand your rights and potential legal remedies.

Notify relevant authorities about the misconduct, such as your state's attorney general's office and the Department of Education. They may investigate and take action against the college for their actions.

If you're currently attending classes and have been denied graduation, maintain your attendance records and communication with professors to demonstrate your active participation.

Avoid signing any fraudulent paperwork, and document any attempts by the college to pressure you into doing so. Your attorney can advise you on how to handle these situations legally.

Lastly, keep a record of all interactions with the college, including emails, phone calls, and meetings. This thorough documentation will be valuable in building your case and seeking resolution for the issues you're facing.

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Little Neck, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: Something of this nature would probably require an investigation to determine exactly what took place. It sounds like you've compiled records to support your position - one option could be to reach out to attorneys who deal with education law to discuss the situation and your best options. Good luck

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.