Ironton, OH asked in Family Law, Juvenile Law and Landlord - Tenant for Ohio

Q: Do I have to let CPS enter my home?

Landlord called CPS on me because my house was not clean. (I have suffered from a bad depression spell over the past month.) They also gave me a 3 day notice to vacate the premises. I have got the house cleaned but now it is a mess due to moving. No children are at home for the time being..they are with grandma until I can get everything taken care of. Do I have to let CPS in my home to investigate?

2 Lawyer Answers
T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Las Vegas, NV

A: In Ohio, you generally have the right to refuse entry to Child Protective Services (CPS) unless they have a court order or exigent circumstances. If CPS is investigating due to concerns about your home's cleanliness, it's crucial to address the issues promptly. However, you can discuss the situation with CPS, explaining the improvements you've made and the temporary absence of children from the home. Additionally, regarding the landlord's 3-day notice, it's advisable to seek legal advice to understand your rights and options in dealing with the eviction notice.

Todd B. Kotler agrees with this answer

Todd B. Kotler
Todd B. Kotler
  • Canton, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: Attorney Claus' answer is spot on. You may refuse but you also should address the concerns of CPS. Also do get in touch with Legal Aid or some attorney who practices in your area regarding any potential eviction proceedings being taken against you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.