Q: Hi I have a question my husband is in Allen Gamble Prison I'm trying to get his case switch mental health Court

Switch his case to mental health court before trial his medically I'll and has disabilities and medical problems

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: In Oklahoma, transferring a case to a mental health court can be a complex process, especially if the trial is already underway. Mental health courts are designed to handle cases involving defendants with mental illnesses and may offer more appropriate resources and outcomes for such individuals.

To pursue this option, you should start by discussing it with your husband's attorney. They can assess the feasibility of transferring the case based on his medical and mental health conditions, the nature of the charges, and the stage of the legal proceedings.

You will likely need to provide documentation of your husband's medical and mental health conditions. This can include medical records, evaluations by mental health professionals, and any relevant treatment history.

The attorney can then file a motion to transfer the case to a mental health court. The decision to transfer the case will be at the discretion of the judge, who will consider the specifics of your husband's situation, the nature of the offense, and the potential benefits of a mental health court setting.

It's important to act quickly, as these motions are generally more effective when filed before the trial begins. Remember, the goal of a mental health court is to address the underlying issues contributing to criminal behavior, which could lead to a more positive outcome for your husband.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.