Detroit, MI asked in Estate Planning, Family Law and Probate for Michigan

Q: How can I find out who the lawyer is that is overseeing my fathers will

2 Lawyer Answers
T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: To find out the lawyer overseeing your father's will in Michigan, start by checking the will for any mentioned contact information. Reach out to the executor, if appointed, as they likely have details about the lawyer. Contact the probate court in the county where your father lived at the time of his passing, as they handle probate cases and can provide information about the lawyer involved. Ask family and friends who may know your father's legal affairs, and consider checking the Michigan Bar Association's resources. If these steps prove challenging, hiring a private investigator could be an option. Keep in mind that estate matters involve privacy considerations, and if you're an heir, you may have a right to information about the will.

Kenneth V Zichi
Kenneth V Zichi
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Fowlerville, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: Lawyers do not ‘oversee’ wills.

Is your father still alive? You have no rights your father doesn’t provide you — ask him and if he chooses to answer — there you are. If he chooses NOT to answer — there is no recourse.

Is your father now deceased? The Personal Representative may hire an attorney to help him/her with the probate and that attorney will be identified in the documents filed with the court and provided to all interested parties.

If this doesn’t help — additional facts may help an attorney to understand what you are asking — I’d urge you to consult with a local licensed attorney for legal advice.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.