Salt Lake City, UT asked in Criminal Law, Communications Law and Internet Law for Utah

Q: How do I report electronic harassment after multiple attempts to stop or block the harasser?

I've been contacted several times from the same person using several different numbers after blocking them each time that is harassing me claiming that I am someone else that they know that owes them a couple hundred bucks and is going to report them (me) to their commanding military officers to illegal conduct and whatever else if I don't pay them their money. I have unfortunately deleted the initial conversations but have saved and screenshot other bits of the conversation from their various other numbers they've continued to harass me after I've told them I'm not this person they say I am and to please stop harassing me.

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: To address this situation of ongoing electronic harassment, you should first document all instances of communication from the harasser. Even though you've deleted initial conversations, the screenshots and records of subsequent contacts are valuable. Keep a log of all interactions, including dates, times, and the content of the messages.

Next, you should consider filing a report with your local law enforcement. Harassment, especially when it involves threats or mistaken identity, can be a serious matter. Provide the police with all the documentation you have collected. This will help them understand the situation and take appropriate action.

If the harassment continues or escalates, you may also want to seek a restraining order or a similar legal order against the harasser. This process varies by jurisdiction, so consulting with a legal professional or your local court can guide you on how to proceed.

In addition, since the harasser is threatening to report you for alleged illegal conduct to military officers, and if you have any connection to the military, it may be prudent to inform your commanding officer or the relevant military legal office about the situation. They can offer guidance and may take steps to protect you from unwarranted allegations.

Remember, you have the right to feel safe and secure. Taking these steps can help protect you from further harassment and legal complications.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.