Ask a Question

Get free answers to your Communications Law legal questions from lawyers in your area.

Lawyers, increase your visibility by answering questions and getting points. Answer Questions
Utah Communications Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Communications Law and Internet Law for Utah on
Q: How do I report electronic harassment after multiple attempts to stop or block the harasser?

I've been contacted several times from the same person using several different numbers after blocking them each time that is harassing me claiming that I am someone else that they know that owes them a couple hundred bucks and is going to report them (me) to their commanding military officers... View More

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on Jan 14, 2024

To address this situation of ongoing electronic harassment, you should first document all instances of communication from the harasser. Even though you've deleted initial conversations, the screenshots and records of subsequent contacts are valuable. Keep a log of all interactions, including... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Communications Law and Military Law for Utah on
Q: My ex boyfriend keeps telling me to kill myself via email. What can I do?

He lives in Virginia and is active duty military. I live in Utah. I am unsure if it is him sending the email or his sister (she supposedly has account access). I was told I am not able to file a protective order because he is out of state.

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on Jul 18, 2024

I'm really sorry to hear about what you're going through. Receiving such emails is deeply troubling, and it's important to take action for your safety and well-being. You can report the threatening emails to your local law enforcement in Utah. Even though he's out of state, law... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Agricultural Law, Business Formation, Business Law and Communications Law for Utah on
Q: Threaten me with a cop to my house

I used to asked for a ride for about a week to this lady about 56 she said yes I them needed another ride for two weeks I asked she said yes. I willingly start giving her money for gas so I won’t feel bad even though it is on the way. We started being friends and started going out after work... View More

Wesley Winsor
Wesley Winsor
answered on Oct 22, 2021


If anything, this would be a civil matter. A cop will not get involved in this capacity. If she feels her claim is strong enough, she will sue you. Until then just ignore it and or block her number if she continues to harass you.

I hope this helps.


1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law, Personal Injury and Communications Law for Utah on
Q: (Utah) I was terminated due to attendance at my job, and my boss contacted my cohabitates to inform them.

For background, I cohabitate(d) with my girlfriend and her parents. With my termination, this supervisor notified my girlfriend’s parents before I had the opportunity to repose & break the news myself (this is in the span of less than 24 hours.) This has resulted in my displacement from their... View More

Michael Lewis Eisner
Michael Lewis Eisner
answered on Sep 21, 2021

You should consult with an attorney in Utah. Each state has different laws regarding communications with others. If someone says or writes something false, the publisher can be held liable for damages caused by the defamation of character (libel or slander). Many states also allow a cause of... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Family Law, Communications Law and Health Care Law for Utah on
Q: Can I record a teleheatlth appointment?

Alright, might sound like a weird situation but here we go. I recorded a family therapy session on my phone. It only has the audio. I have epilepsy and part of that is memory problems. So, I recorded the session so I could make a transcript of the session to read over and understand better and... View More

Mike Branum
Mike Branum
answered on Aug 2, 2020

This is an example of why you do not take legal advice from therapists. This is an extremely complex question and I would need more information to provide the best answer but based on what you have described, I would not be concerned. Even if the recording is technically illegal, which is not... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury, Civil Rights, Communications Law and White Collar Crime for Utah on
Q: Do I need a personal injury lawyer and a civil rights lawyer when Suing multiple health providers?

Looking for an attorney to help me pursue my complaint, by suing multiple people and/or health providers whom may be able to assist me by giving a discount or payment plans? Maybe even PRO BONO? The information I have obtained is very sensitive so please email responses to:... View More

Tyler Young
Tyler Young
answered on Jul 27, 2020

You need a medical malpractice / personal injury attorney. If there are civil rights components to your case, often a an injury attorney can assist you with that as well.

Medical malpractice tort reform laws in Utah make it nearly impossible for non-lawyers to navigate the litigation...
View More

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Contracts, Business Law and Communications Law for Utah on
Q: If I unknowingly signed a DocuSign Contract for my boss's company (that I am in no way authorized to sign) is it valid?

My boss told me to cancel his Waste Management service because his monthly trash bills were ridiculously high. I contacted them and told them I needed to cancel the service because it's too expensive. We have another provider that will do the same service for 100's less per month. They... View More

Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick
answered on Jul 8, 2019

I do not practice law in Utah--but I am very well aware of how easy it is these days to trick people into doing something they never intended to do. However, that said, I also know how easy it is for THE BUSINESS (not you) to hire lawyer to take up the business' mantle and push back at... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Criminal Law, Civil Rights and Communications Law for Utah on
Q: What can be done if a court reporter messes up a judges decision on a court transcript
Aric M. Cramer
Aric M. Cramer
answered on Oct 18, 2017

That's a very complex question with no clear answer - very fact specific. You will need to hire an appellate attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.