Millfield, OH asked in Collections, Education Law and Legal Malpractice for Ohio

Q: I have a University that keeps filing suits, and I don't know at all about them until my name is found online. It's bad.

They have apparently filed to take my chance of owning land in my county, and have recently tried to take my wages and have them garnished. I'm a disabled individual since 2011. I haven't received any mail from them since they kicked me from their school. I only know about these things when I searched my name for any reason and found it this month online searching for stuff. My address is clearly on the one they sent to some employer in my old hometown. I've lived in this County for almost 13 years now come 2024 January. What can I do about this?

1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Little Neck, NY

A: An Ohio attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for two weeks. Find out what the suits are for, either on your own or through an attorney. Consider consulting with an attorney to learn if you have viable defenses that might be cost effective to pursue in terms of the initial suits. Unfortunately, it appears they have evolved in their timeline to reach this point. Good luck

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.