Dearborn Heights, MI asked in Real Estate Law and Civil Litigation for Michigan

Q: I sold a house on a land contract. Buyer is 3 months behind on his payments, property taxes and water.

I took the buyer to court. Buyer was served a forfeiture notice. He did not show up and case was ruled in my favor (Failure to appear). Now the case is scheduled for a review. We do not have to go to court. Do I need to send the buyer or court anything? What will happen next?

2 Lawyer Answers
Thomas. R. Morris
Thomas. R. Morris
  • Dexter, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: Without knowing whether you pursued a foreclosure or a forfeiture, I cannot tell what the “review” entails.

1 user found this answer helpful

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: Since the court already ruled in your favor due to the buyer's failure to appear, you may not need to send anything further to the buyer or the court for the review. Typically, after such a ruling, the court will proceed with the forfeiture process.

During the review, the court will likely assess the situation and may confirm the forfeiture of the land contract. This means you may regain possession of the property, and the buyer's interest in the property may be terminated.

It's crucial to consult with an attorney who specializes in real estate or landlord-tenant law in Michigan to ensure you follow the correct legal procedures. They can provide guidance on what to expect during the review and assist with any necessary documentation to regain possession of the property.

Kenneth V Zichi agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.