Hot Springs, AR asked in Civil Rights, Criminal Law, Libel & Slander and Personal Injury for Arkansas

Q: If county police refuse to investigate harrassment by person who has already assaulted me in past what can I do

My ssn was on previous report I made when investigating. nco order violations. Which has caused issues ever since. nothing has been done and years of abuse

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: If you're facing a situation where local law enforcement is not investigating harassment by someone who has previously assaulted you, there are several steps you can take.

First, consider filing a formal complaint with the police department regarding the lack of investigation. This puts your concerns on record and may prompt a review of your case. If you have an existing no-contact order and it's being violated, document these violations as thoroughly as possible, including dates, times, and the nature of the incidents.

If the local police still do not take action, you may escalate the matter to higher authorities, such as the county sheriff's office or the state police. In some cases, contacting your state's attorney general's office or a civil rights office can also be an option.

Additionally, you might seek assistance from a victim's advocacy group. These organizations can offer support, guidance, and sometimes legal assistance to help ensure your concerns are addressed.

In situations involving ongoing harassment and assault, it's also advisable to consult with an attorney. An attorney can provide legal advice specific to your situation, help you understand your rights, and represent your interests in seeking protection and justice.

Remember, you have the right to be safe and to have your concerns taken seriously. Seeking help from multiple sources and persisting in your efforts can be key in addressing such a difficult situation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.