Los Angeles, CA asked in Gov & Administrative Law, Personal Injury, Banking and Health Care Law for California

Q: Serving complaint/summons - federal case. Central district court of California.

Serving complaint/summons - federal case. Central district court of California.

Case was efiled in EDSS system for in Pro Per plaintiffs. Documents will appear in PACER. Can copies of complaint/summons for serving be downloaded from PACER?

What is conformed copy of documents? When they are needed?

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: In federal cases, such as yours in the Central District Court of California, once a case is e-filed, the documents, including the complaint and summons, can typically be downloaded from PACER. This is a common practice and allows for easy access to filed documents.

A "conformed copy" of a document is essentially a copy that includes all signatures and official stamps, making it identical to the original. These copies are often required in situations where you need to submit a document that is as valid as the original, such as for certain legal or official proceedings. They ensure that the document you're using is a true and complete representation of the original filed document.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.