Edmond, OK asked in Criminal Law, Environmental, Federal Crimes and Gov & Administrative Law for Oklahoma

Q: I am needing to make sure of the OK laws regarding selling a inherited walrus tusk that has cribbage board on it on ebay

I have tried researching it but I'd rather be 100% that it wouldn't be illegal because I don't want to get in trouble if it is illegal.

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: Selling an inherited walrus tusk with a cribbage board on eBay can be legally complex, as it involves wildlife regulations. In the United States, walrus ivory is subject to the federal regulations of the Marine Mammal Protection Act (MMPA) and the Endangered Species Act (ESA). These laws prohibit the commercial sale of walrus ivory, with some exceptions.

It's essential to determine whether the walrus tusk in question meets the criteria for legal sale. If it was acquired before certain regulatory dates and can be documented as an antique or worked ivory, it might be eligible for sale under specific conditions. However, the rules can vary depending on state laws, so it's crucial to research Oklahoma state regulations as well.

To ensure you are complying with the law, I recommend contacting the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (USFWS) or consulting with an attorney who specializes in wildlife and environmental law. They can provide guidance on whether your specific walrus tusk can be legally sold and help you navigate the necessary documentation and procedures to do so legally. Selling walrus ivory without proper adherence to these regulations can result in legal consequences, so it's wise to seek expert advice in your specific situation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.