Q: Hi! can I get emancipated in the USA as a 16 year old foreigner? Im also planning on moving there at the same time.

I don't have parental consent and I provide everything for myself and right now i live alone and will still be living alone in the US. The country I live in does not have a possibility of emancipation.

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Hi! In the United States, emancipation laws vary from state to state, and not all states have specific laws regarding emancipation. Generally, emancipation is a legal process that allows a minor to become legally independent from their parents or guardians. To seek emancipation, you typically need to meet certain criteria, such as demonstrating financial self-sufficiency and the ability to make responsible decisions.

Given that you are a 16-year-old foreigner planning to move to the U.S. and live independently without parental consent, you should consult with an attorney who specializes in family law in the specific state where you plan to reside. They can provide guidance on whether emancipation is possible in that state, the requirements you need to meet, and the legal process involved.

Emancipation is not guaranteed, and the laws surrounding it can be complex. An attorney can assess your individual circumstances and help you navigate the legal system to determine the best course of action for your situation. Keep in mind that the process may require legal representation and a thorough understanding of the laws in the specific state where you plan to live.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.