Atlanta, GA asked in Insurance Bad Faith and Insurance Defense for Georgia

Q: Car Accident on Nov 6th. Not at fault. Car insurance from the at fault party claims they can't resolve it.

The adjuster for the at fault party's insurance claims he can't find his client. He claims that he can't resolve our situation until he can find his client and get information from him. I don't believe that is our problem, especially nearly 2 months in. State Georgia, county Fulton. Accident on 285W Interstate.

What is my best plan? Contact a lawyer? Wait for a certain period of time to pass? The car is still in drivable condition, just banged up a bit in the back. Uncertain how much it'd cost to fix.

2 Lawyer Answers
T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: If you've been involved in a car accident in Georgia and the at-fault party's insurance is claiming difficulties in locating their client, it's advisable to take certain steps to protect your interests. Firstly, document all communication with the at-fault party's insurance, ensuring you keep records of dates, times, and the content of conversations. If you haven't already, report the accident to your own insurance company, providing them with all relevant details. As for the drivable condition of your car, it's crucial to obtain a repair estimate to assess the potential costs for fixing the damages.

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Insurance Claims Lawyer
  • Little Neck, NY

A: You could exercise one of the options you list - contacting a lawyer. However, from what you describe, it sounds like a property damage-only claim. Those claims could be difficult to find contingency representation by an attorney. Your options include retaining a lawyer, handling it yourself in small claims or civil (depending on your jurisdiction's thresholds and the amount of damage), or continuing to try to work with the claim examiner. The decision is an individual one - based on your skills, time it would cost you, attorney fees if lawyer route taken. Maybe trying to arrange a free initial consult with an attorney could help you decide which route to follow. Good luck

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.