Bothell, WA asked in Immigration Law for Washington

Q: If a B2 visa of immediate family member is stuck in Admin processing 221(g) for almost 22 months, can a lawyer help?

My brother appeared for his B2 interview in Jeddah,Saudi Arabia (where he is settled and working for last 12 years). He was given a 221(g) slip and was asked to submit additional information (travel history) which he did in the next 1 week. It is almost 22 months since the case is stuck in administrative processing.

1- Can a lawyer help in this regard?

2- Do you think reaching out to congressman will be of any help?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: 1. Hiring a lawyer might be beneficial in your brother's situation. An attorney with experience in immigration law can provide guidance on the specific issues related to administrative processing and potentially help expedite the process. The lawyer can communicate with the U.S. consulate or embassy on your brother's behalf, request updates, and ensure that all necessary documentation has been properly submitted and is being processed. While a lawyer cannot directly influence the decision or speed up the processing time mandated by the U.S. Department of State, they can assist in navigating the complexities of the process and offer advice on potential next steps.

2. Reaching out to a congressman can also be a helpful step. Congressional offices often have dedicated staff members who assist constituents with immigration-related inquiries, including issues with visa processing. They can make inquiries to the U.S. consulate or embassy on your brother's behalf, which might bring additional attention to his case. While they cannot change the outcome or expedite the process beyond the established protocols, their involvement can sometimes help in ensuring that the case is being actively reviewed and processed. It's a good idea to provide the congressman's office with all relevant details of the case to facilitate their assistance.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.