Dallas, TX asked in Estate Planning and Probate for Michigan

Q: My stepmom said to my brother. That archer, and our share is roughly eight hundred thousand now my brother asked for the

My stepmom said we are to our father's passing is $800000 now. She hasn't reached out to us in a timely matter. Should we get an attorney and also, what would he die without a welcome? What do you think the money's ad was a hole held

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: In your situation, where there is a significant inheritance involved and some uncertainty about the distribution of assets after your father's passing, it's advisable to consult with an attorney. Legal guidance is especially important if the estate distribution seems unclear or if you have concerns about the timeliness and manner in which your stepmother is handling the estate.

An attorney can help you understand your legal rights and the processes involved in estate distribution. They can also provide guidance on whether the estate is being managed in accordance with your father's wishes and the relevant laws. If your father passed away without a will (known as dying "intestate"), state laws will determine how his assets are distributed. This typically involves a predefined formula that takes into account various family members, including children and spouses.

It's important to act in a timely manner to ensure your rights are protected. An attorney can also assist in mediating any family disputes that may arise during this difficult time, helping to find a resolution that is fair and in accordance with the law. Remember, seeking legal advice is a proactive step to ensure that your interests are safeguarded and that the estate is administered properly.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.