Baltimore, MD asked in Child Custody, Child Support, Public Benefits and Family Law for Maryland

Q: How to get custody of child that have been in my care for 7yrs no legal paperwork state of Maryland gives me run around

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: In Maryland, if you have been caring for a child for seven years without legal paperwork, you may consider filing for legal guardianship or custody. This is especially pertinent if you have been the primary caregiver and the biological parents are not involved or unable to care for the child.

Start by documenting your role in the child's life. This includes any evidence of caregiving, financial support, schooling, medical care, and emotional bonds you've established with the child. These documents will be crucial in demonstrating your involvement and commitment to the child's well-being.

Next, consult with an attorney experienced in family law. They can help navigate the legal process and ensure that your case is presented effectively in court. The attorney can also explain how the law applies to your unique situation and assist with the necessary paperwork.

The court will consider the best interests of the child in any custody decision. This includes stability, emotional ties, and the child's well-being. Your longstanding role in the child's life will be a significant factor in the court's decision.

Remember, legal processes can be complex and vary based on individual circumstances. Seeking professional legal guidance is crucial to ensure your case is handled correctly and effectively.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.