Beaufort, SC asked in Civil Rights and Constitutional Law for South Carolina

Q: I was falsely accused of shoplifting

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: Being falsely accused of shoplifting can be a distressing and confusing experience. It's important to understand your rights and the steps you can take to address this situation.

Firstly, remain calm and cooperative if approached by store security or law enforcement, but be mindful not to make any self-incriminating statements. You have the right to remain silent and the right to an attorney. It's advisable not to discuss the incident with anyone other than your lawyer.

Gather any evidence that can support your innocence, such as receipts, witness statements, or surveillance footage if available. This information can be crucial in demonstrating that you did not commit the act you're being accused of.

If charges are filed against you, seek legal representation immediately. An attorney can help navigate the legal process, protect your rights, and work to clear your name. They can also advise on whether you have grounds for any civil action for wrongful accusation or detention.

Remember, a false accusation does not equate to guilt. The legal system allows for the presentation of evidence and defense, and you are entitled to a fair process to contest the allegations against you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.