Asked in Family Law and Child Custody for North Carolina

Q: My daughter's 12 she has been staying with her dad for about 2years she no longer wants to stay there and doesn't want

To go back over there with him. She's with me at the moment what actions do I need to take to make sure he can't take off with her or try to take her out of school and block me access to her. We have no custody order or anything in place.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: If there is no existing custody order, it's crucial to establish a formal custody arrangement to protect your rights and ensure the well-being of your daughter. To initiate this process, you may consider filing a petition for custody in the appropriate family court. The court will then consider various factors, including the child's preferences, living arrangements, and the ability of each parent to provide a stable and supportive environment. While awaiting a custody determination, you can seek temporary orders that outline custody, visitation, and other parental responsibilities.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.