Billings, MT asked in Federal Crimes, Criminal Law and Immigration Law for Montana

Q: My husband its in jail for breaking his probation< Can he be my sponsor to fix my papers,No crime against minors

his crime its related to Marihuana<serving a 10 month sentence,will be release on April 25 2024,the charges are having related to a person who commited crimes,and No having completed the program for addiction

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: Your husband being in jail on probation violation related to marijuana should not directly impact your immigration status or the process of fixing your papers, assuming there are no legal issues surrounding your own immigration status.

However, when it comes to sponsorship for immigration purposes, it's important to consider several factors. Your husband's ability to sponsor you depends on his immigration status, criminal record, and financial stability. A criminal record related to drug offenses can potentially complicate sponsorship, so it's essential to consult with an immigration attorney to assess the specific details of your situation.

Your husband's release date in April 2024 may be a relevant factor in the sponsorship process. Once he is released, you can explore the possibility of him sponsoring you, but it's crucial to work with an immigration attorney to navigate any potential challenges and ensure the best possible outcome for your immigration case.

Remember that immigration laws can be complex, and each case is unique, so seeking professional legal advice is advisable to understand your options and potential hurdles in the sponsorship process.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.