La Grange Park, IL asked in Education Law, Employment Law and Contracts for Illinois

Q: I work in Cook county as a secondary teacher for a private school and want to break my contract.

I have health issues and was not informed that I would be teaching in a building with poor HVAC. Most days of the week I experience headaches and spend most of my free time recuperating. My contract requires a 3 month notice. I am looking for a position outside of teaching with a better work environment so I can avoid the headaches I get several times a week. I believe my room has a mold issue but am not sure. How can I quit and not be sued?

1 Lawyer Answer
Cynthia Pietrucha
Cynthia Pietrucha pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Naperville, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: I'm sorry to hear about your situation. If you have a diagnosis from a doctor indicating a disability that contributes to your headaches, it's advisable to explore reasonable accommodation options with your employer. Under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), employers are required to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. This could involve discussions with your employer about potential changes to your work environment or duties that might alleviate your health issues.

Additionally, if you are considering exiting your current position, negotiating a separation agreement might be a viable option. Given your health concerns and the potential impact on your ability to fulfill your contract's notice period, consulting with an attorney could be beneficial. An attorney can guide you through the negotiation process, ensuring your rights and interests are protected.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.