Buckeye, AZ asked in Estate Planning for Arizona

Q: My father passed away in December 2022. He had a Will and a Trust listing his 3 adult children as recipients of all

assets and a niece as Trustee. The 3 of us do not have a copy of the Will or Trust and have not had a meeting to have them explained to us by the lawyer. The lawyer will only talk to the Trustee and Trustee refuses to allow us to attend a meeting with her. She said all assets were in the Trust 4-5 months ago, but distribution of funds has not yet happened. Makes us suspicious of both the Trustee and Lawyer. What recourse do we have other than suing the Trustee?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
David Gerszewski
David Gerszewski
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Chandler, AZ
  • Licensed in Arizona

A: The lawyer's position is right. The lawyer represents the trustee. You can hire your own lawyer to discuss matters with the trust lawyer if you want. Your cousin should still follow guidelines for administering the trust according to Arizona law.

Gregory Christopher Poulos agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.