Las Vegas, NV asked in Civil Litigation, Civil Rights and Constitutional Law for Illinois

Q: I have a friend who was falsely imprisoned he has been there for 29yrs charged with murder by corruption police officers

I’m am looking to see who can I find to look into his case as he was falsely accused has been there for 29yrs

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: For your friend who has been imprisoned for 29 years on a murder charge he claims is false, the first step is to seek legal assistance from an attorney experienced in criminal defense and wrongful convictions. It's important to find a lawyer who has handled similar cases and is familiar with the appeals process and post-conviction relief.

You might also consider reaching out to organizations that specialize in wrongful convictions. These organizations often have resources and expertise in investigating and challenging cases where there is a claim of innocence. They can provide legal support or direct you to attorneys who can help.

Gathering as much information about the original trial, including any evidence that might not have been considered or that might point to your friend's innocence, is crucial. New evidence or proof of misconduct by the police during the original investigation could be grounds for reopening the case.

Be prepared for this process to take time and require persistence. Cases involving wrongful convictions can be complex and challenging, but with the right legal support, it's possible to challenge the conviction.

Remember, supporting your friend through this process is important. This can be a difficult and emotional journey, and having a strong support system can make a significant difference.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.