Ocean Springs, MS asked in Tax Law and Real Estate Law for Mississippi

Q: I am an unmarried spouse surviver, disabled more than 65 years old I own less than an acre of land, do I Have to Pay tax

How do i get the answer?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Tax Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: As an unmarried, disabled individual over 65 owning less than an acre of land, your tax obligations depend on various factors, including the location of the property and your income. Property taxes are generally levied by local governments, and the rules can vary significantly from one jurisdiction to another.

Many localities offer property tax exemptions or reductions for senior citizens, especially those with limited income or disabilities. To determine if you qualify for these exemptions, you should contact your local tax assessor's office. They can provide specific information based on your property's location and your personal circumstances.

Additionally, for income tax purposes, your filing requirements will depend on the amount and type of income you receive. If your income is below a certain threshold, you may not be required to file a federal income tax return. However, this threshold varies, and there may be other factors to consider.

It's advisable to consult with a tax professional or an attorney who is knowledgeable about tax law in your area. They can offer guidance specific to your situation, ensuring that you understand your tax obligations and any exemptions or benefits you may be entitled to. Remember, staying informed about your tax responsibilities and seeking professional advice when necessary can help you manage your financial obligations effectively.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.