Worcester, MA asked in Estate Planning, Family Law and Real Estate Law for Massachusetts

Q: My siblings and I recently inherited our parents’ house after they died. One of my brothers wants to purchase the house.

If the house is appraised at $450,000, does my brother pay me and my other sibling ⅓ each ($150,000) or ½ each ($225,000)? Since he will be owning the house and could turn around and sell it at any time, does he also get a portion (1/3) of its value? Is that getting two bites of the proverbial apple?

2 Lawyer Answers
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Knoxville, TN

A: You get paid whatever you agree to. Brother will probably only pay 2/3 of the value to you two heirs. Otherwise he can sue for a Sale For Partition.

Phil A. Taylor
Phil A. Taylor
  • Stoneham, MA
  • Licensed in Massachusetts

A: If you and your siblings each now own a 1/3 interest in the property and one sibling wants to purchase your interest and the interest of the other sibling, then the sibling would pay 2/3 of the fair market value (give or take depending on how the other costs, savings are addressed). The sibling already owns 1/3, so there is no reason to pay for that interest.

The sibling that purchases the other interests does not get "two bites at the proverbial apple." Also, depending on how the property is owned exactly, any one of you can "force" the sale of the property and then also be the buyer.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.