Roseville, CA asked in Civil Litigation and Banking for California

Q: A customer of 6+ years at my financial institution delayed access to my money after a deposit on two occassions.

I'm California resident being gang-stalked and harrassed from my community. The financial institution is participating in harrassment, denying immediate access to my deposits and giving unofficial documentation as "proof of deposit." They won't tell me how much I have access to or when funds will be fully available (citing that they don't trust**believe** me with a photo I.D. and also mail from them with my address etc. after several years of business with them) Even when I proved last time that I can access my account from ATM machine outside the building they still act, this time, that they do not know me- even the very same teller pretends like she doesn't remember I proved I can access the ATM with my pin number. She acts like I can't be trusted but she knows very well that I am the true customer.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Business Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Under California law, financial institutions have specific guidelines and obligations regarding customer transactions, including deposit handling and access to funds. If a bank delays access to your deposits without a valid, legally justifiable reason, it may be in violation of these regulations.

In your situation, if the financial institution is providing unofficial documentation and is not clearly communicating the availability of your funds, this could potentially be a breach of the contract you have with the bank or a violation of banking regulations. The claim that they do not trust or believe you, despite your long-standing relationship and ability to prove your identity, raises concerns about their adherence to proper customer service and legal standards.

You have the right to seek clarification and a formal explanation from the bank regarding their actions. If the response is unsatisfactory or if you believe the bank's actions are part of a larger pattern of harassment, you may consider filing a complaint with the California Department of Financial Protection and Innovation, which oversees state-chartered financial institutions.

Additionally, consulting with a lawyer to discuss potential legal actions, including whether the bank's conduct could constitute harassment or discrimination, may be beneficial. They can provide guidance on how to proceed based on the specifics of your situation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.