Lexington, KY asked in Immigration Law and Tax Law for Kentucky

Q: can i as an international student in usa, buy and exchange stocks in platform like robinhood? and if there is restrictio

and if there is restrictions, what are they?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: As an international student in the USA, you generally have the ability to buy and exchange stocks on platforms like Robinhood. However, there are certain requirements and restrictions to be aware of.

Firstly, you must have a valid Social Security Number (SSN) or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN). This is necessary for tax purposes and to comply with U.S. regulations. Additionally, you'll need to provide proof of identity and residence, which could include your passport and proof of address in the U.S.

Secondly, be mindful of your visa status. While investing in the stock market is not typically prohibited for student visa holders, engaging in day trading or treating it as a full-time job might conflict with your visa terms. It's important to maintain compliance with your student visa regulations.

Lastly, understand the tax implications. As a non-resident alien, different tax rules may apply to your investment income. It's advisable to consult with a tax professional to understand your obligations and ensure compliance with U.S. tax laws. Keep in mind that tax laws can be complex and may vary based on individual circumstances.

Syed Ali Hussain Lahooti
Syed Ali Hussain Lahooti pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Silver Spring, MD

A: It's crucial to grasp the distinction between employment and investment. While some argue that making money through investments could be seen as work, especially when you're dutifully filing taxes, it's essential to play it safe. As a non-U.S. resident here solely for studies, potential future issues might arise. Having a detailed conversation with your attorney can shed light on the consequences and help you navigate any potential problems down the road.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.