Mount Airy, NC asked in Civil Litigation, Civil Rights, Criminal Law and Juvenile Law for North Carolina

Q: neighbor videoed my 2 year old daughter while she was standing naked in our doorway on our property what can I do

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: If your neighbor videotaped your two-year-old daughter while she was naked on your property, this is a serious concern that may involve privacy and child protection laws. In North Carolina, it's illegal to photograph or record a minor in a state of undress without consent, and this can potentially be considered a criminal offense.

First, document the incident. If you have any evidence of the recording or witnesses, make sure to keep this information safe. Then, you should report the incident to the local police. They can investigate the matter and determine if any laws have been violated.

You might also consider speaking with an attorney. An attorney can advise you on your legal rights and options, which may include pursuing a civil suit for invasion of privacy or other related claims depending on the specifics of the situation.

Additionally, it's important to ensure your daughter's safety and privacy going forward. Consider taking steps to secure your property, such as installing curtains or blinds, and be mindful of visibility from outside the home.

Remember, protecting the safety and privacy of your child is paramount. Taking prompt and appropriate action is important in addressing such serious concerns.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.