Lorain, OH asked in Education Law and Family Law for Ohio

Q: can I move out at 18, I live in Ohio and I'm still in school, I'm looking for a job and I have another place to live

I have a therapist and after going for a few months I told her I wanted to move out at 18 to live with my grandma. I'm looking for a new job and have my own means of transportation, I plan to help with bills, and my grades are good. but I won't graduate for another 4 months and my mother says I can move out then, my mother has depression and has strong controlling behavior, and I really want to get out of the situation I am in. i hope someone can help me

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Todd B. Kotler
Todd B. Kotler
  • Education Law Lawyer
  • Canton, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: Yes, but while you are still in High school and living at home, your parents are responsible for your reasonable care, accommodation, and feeding. If you move out, you will relieve them of those responsibilities and they won't have to take you back if it turns out you can't cut it on your own. Before moving out, you should speak with your school and provide proof of residency. Good luck!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.