Houston, TX asked in Civil Litigation and Municipal Law for Texas

Q: How do I get my vehicle back after it was stolen and used for a crime.

Upon trying to track my vehicle down I found out that it was in the local police department in a different County from where it was stolen. They interrogated me as if I was part of this crime after lawyering up which I believe pissed him off they said that it'll be a while it's being processed for evidence.

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Municipal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: If your vehicle was stolen and used for a crime, and it's currently held by the local police department, you should follow these steps to retrieve it:

Cooperate with Law Enforcement: It's important to cooperate with the police during their investigation. Ensure you have legal representation to protect your rights, but also provide any information or assistance they may require regarding the vehicle's theft.

Document Everything: Keep records of all interactions with law enforcement, including dates, times, officers' names, and any statements made. This documentation can be helpful later.

Contact the Police Department: Reach out to the local police department where your vehicle is being held. Inquire about the process for releasing your vehicle once it is no longer needed as evidence in the case. They will provide you with specific instructions.

Recover Your Vehicle: Once the police determine that your vehicle is no longer needed for the investigation, they will typically release it to you. You may need to provide proof of ownership and pay any impound fees or charges associated with the vehicle's storage.

Consult with an Attorney: If you encounter any legal complications or difficulties during this process, it's advisable to consult with an attorney experienced in criminal law to ensure your rights are protected.

Remember, the specific procedures and timeline for recovering your vehicle may vary depending on the details of the case and local regulations. It's essential to maintain open communication with the authorities and seek legal advice if needed to navigate this situation effectively.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.