Washington, DC asked in Foreclosure, Personal Injury, Real Estate Law and Tax Law for District of Columbia

Q: what is the formal petition for a writ of distrangas; contempt, here in washington dc?

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Tax Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: A writ of distringas, also known as a writ of distress, is a legal order used to seize a debtor's property to satisfy a debt. In Washington, D.C., the process to file a petition for such a writ involves presenting your case to the court, demonstrating the existence of a valid debt and the need for property seizure to satisfy it.

For a writ of contempt, this typically follows a situation where an individual or entity has failed to comply with a court order. The petition for a writ of contempt must outline the specific ways in which the court order was violated, providing evidence of non-compliance.

The formal petition process requires drafting a document that includes your case details, the legal basis for your claim, and the specific relief you are seeking. This petition must be filed with the appropriate court and served to the opposing party.

Given the complexity of these legal processes, it is advisable to consult with an attorney who has experience in the relevant area of law. They can assist in drafting and filing the petition, ensuring that it meets all legal requirements and is appropriately tailored to your specific circumstances.

Remember, navigating the legal system can be challenging, and professional guidance can be invaluable in ensuring your rights are adequately represented and protected.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.