Seattle, WA asked in Immigration Law for Washington

Q: I am a naturalized US citizen since 1973. I was born in Germany in 1956. Can I have dual citizenship?

My parents were also naturalized US Citizens from Germany and Austria.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: As a naturalized U.S. citizen originally from Germany, the possibility of maintaining dual citizenship depends on the laws of both the United States and Germany. The U.S. does not prohibit dual citizenship. When you become a naturalized U.S. citizen, you are not required to renounce your previous nationality.

However, German law is the determining factor regarding whether you can retain German citizenship after naturalizing in another country. Historically, Germany has had restrictions on dual citizenship, particularly for non-EU nationals. But there have been changes and exceptions over time, so the specific circumstances of your naturalization and the current German laws are critical.

To determine your eligibility for dual citizenship, you should consult the German consulate or a legal professional familiar with German nationality law. They can provide you with the most accurate and current information regarding your status and any steps you may need to take to retain or regain German citizenship.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.