New Orleans, LA asked in Divorce, Family Law, Business Law and Collections for Texas

Q: Per decree indemnity clause am I entitled to be reimbursed legal & receivers fees paid to collect judgement ($200K)?

I was awarded 70% of marital estate. Ex sold the asset (our business) while under standing orders for purported zero dollars even though I was awarded value of $2m. I have paid over $200k to attorneys and receiver to try to collect. Ex has been sent to jail twice for contempt. One receiver even quit. Ex still has money and the company hidden somewhere. I have a new receiver that wants a heavy fee- 20% paid by ex on what receiver collects from ex & 20% paid on what I collect from ex. Can I demand that my ex pay all fees and my legal costs incurred? Isn't this what the indemnity clause reads as?

1 Lawyer Answer
John Michael Frick
John Michael Frick
  • Frisco, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: Attorney fees are typically recoverable in a suit to enforce an indemnity obligation just as they are in any other suit on a written or oral contractor.

A receiver's fee is typically paid from the money recovered by the receiver "off the top." Whatever proceeds remain and pass through to you are what is credited against the judgment your ex owes to you. So, for example, you say your ex owes you $2M. If the receiver were to locate non-exempt property of your ex and sell it, the cost of the sale is deducted from the gross proceeds leaving net proceeds of $100,000, the receiver gets $20,000 and you get $80,000 toward the $2M judgment owed by your ex, leaving him with a balance owed of $1,920,000.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.