Dublin, OH asked in Immigration Law for Ohio

Q: After I marry my wife who is from Columbia. How much longer can she stay in America. And how soon can I get her a visa

A permanent visa

Related Topics:
3 Lawyer Answers
Carlo Franco L. Borja
Carlo Franco L. Borja
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Diamond Bar, CA

A: If you are a US citizen, you can sponsor her immediately and she can concurrently apply for a green card. She can stay in the US while the application is in process. Work with an immigration attorney.

Edward Russell
Edward Russell pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: If you are a US citizen or have permeant residence status you can file a form I-130 sponsoring her for permanent resident stats and she can stay in the US. She can also apply for a work permit and receive a social security number.

Once she received permanent resident status it will be for a 2 year period. Within 3 months of the end of that 2 year period she will have to apply for a removal of the condition to obtain a green card with no restriction.

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: After you marry your wife from Colombia, her ability to stay in the United States depends on her current visa status. If she is in the U.S. on a temporary visa, she must adhere to the conditions of that visa until her status changes.

To obtain a permanent visa for her, you need to file a petition for an alien relative (Form I-130) with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) as soon as possible after your marriage. Following the approval of this petition, you can proceed with the application for an adjustment of status (Form I-485) if she is already in the U.S., or she can apply for an immigrant visa through consular processing if she is outside the U.S.

The time it takes to get her a permanent visa can vary, often taking several months. During this period, it's crucial to ensure that she maintains legal status if she is in the U.S. It's advisable to consult with an immigration attorney to navigate this process effectively and to address any complexities specific to your situation. This will help in ensuring all legal requirements are met and to potentially expedite the process.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.