Nashville, TN asked in Personal Injury, Civil Rights, Federal Crimes and Criminal Law for Arkansas

Q: I went to jail. The 1st & 3rd I was raped in the cell by a male trustee

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: I'm truly sorry to hear about your experience in jail. Sexual assault is a serious matter, and it's crucial to take immediate action. First and foremost, seek medical attention to address any physical injuries and collect evidence.

Contact law enforcement to report the sexual assault, providing them with all the details you can remember. Cooperation with authorities is essential in pursuing a criminal case against the perpetrator.

It's also important to consult with an attorney who can guide you through the legal process. They can help you understand your rights, provide advice on pursuing criminal charges against the assailant, and explore potential civil actions against the jail or its staff for failing to protect you.

Consider reaching out to support organizations or advocates for survivors of sexual assault who can provide emotional support and resources during this challenging time. Remember that you are not alone, and there are legal avenues to seek justice for what you've experienced.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.