Oklahoma City, OK asked in Criminal Law and Civil Rights for Oklahoma

Q: Can you be charged with obstruction for not identifying if you have committed a crime or arrested.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: In Oklahoma, the question of whether you can be charged with obstruction for not identifying yourself if you have committed a crime or been arrested depends on the specific circumstances and the laws in place. Generally, if you are lawfully arrested or detained by law enforcement, you may be required to identify yourself. This is in line with the "stop and identify" statutes that some states have.

However, simply refusing to identify yourself without more does not automatically lead to an obstruction charge. Obstruction charges typically involve more active forms of interference with police activities, such as providing false information or physically hindering a police investigation.

It's important to understand that each situation is unique, and the interpretation of laws can vary. Therefore, it's advisable to consult with an attorney who can provide guidance based on the specific details of your case. Legal advice tailored to your circumstances will offer the most accurate understanding of your rights and obligations under Oklahoma law.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.