Charlotte, NC asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Domestic Violence for North Carolina

Q: Do I have to speak with CPS on behalf of a friend, or will they subpoena me to court?

I live in NC and one of my friends and her husband were arrested for Domestic Violence. She gave CPS my number as a reference. Do I have to speak with them when they call? Can I remain neutral or can they subpoena me and force me to speak to them or the courts?

1 Lawyer Answer
Todd B. Kotler
Todd B. Kotler

A: You may try to remain neutral. That will not necessarily prevent a party from subpoenaing you as a witness. That is a court order and you will either have to comply or file a motion to quash the subpoena.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.