Lexington, KY asked in Immigration Law and Tax Law for Kentucky

Q: i am an international student, and i currently dont have any schoalrship amount in my tution amount.

so, do i need to file my 1098-T form while filing the taxes.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: As an international student in the United States, you might receive Form 1098-T if you have paid tuition or related expenses during the tax year. This form is typically used by students to claim education credits like the American Opportunity Credit and the Lifetime Learning Credit.

However, whether you need to include Form 1098-T in your tax filing depends on several factors. If you're not eligible for these education credits due to your nonresident status for tax purposes, then this form may not be necessary for your tax filing.

It's important to understand your specific tax situation, which can vary based on your visa status, length of time in the U.S., and your income sources. It's often advisable to consult with a tax professional who can provide guidance tailored to your individual circumstances. They can help determine if you need to file Form 1098-T and assist with any other tax obligations you may have.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.