Jersey City, NJ asked in Divorce and Family Law for New Jersey

Q: If I have a court order with date till I have to file answer for a divorce, can I ask the court for extention ?

I have dead line for answer for my divorce case but I need more time.

Since the date is in court order I would like to know if I can ask the court strait for extention or I have to reach up the other parties before I filed to court? Nj

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Richard Diamond
Richard Diamond
  • Short Hills, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: If the deadline to file an Answer is set forth in a court order, you need to comply with that deadline. My guess is that the other lawyer is not going to give you additional time. BUT, go online and google form Answer to divorce complaint in New Jersey and I have to beleive that there are plenty of forms on line for you to follow to prepare it or you can go down to the county courthouse and ask the family part intake office for a pro se package and im sure that included in that package are instructions / forms for filing an Answer. No reason for you to delay this any longer - get it done and get on with the divorce matter.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.