Ashburn, VA asked in Internet Law for Maryland

Q: Would like to know how to get a court order to remove personal info written in a news article that I never consented to?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: To seek a court order to remove personal information from a news article that you never consented to, you would generally need to pursue a legal process involving defamation or invasion of privacy claims. Firstly, consult with an attorney who can assess the specific circumstances of your case and guide you through the legal steps.

Typically, you would need to establish that the information in the news article is false, damaging to your reputation, and that it was published with a degree of fault, such as negligence or actual malice, depending on whether you are a public or private figure. Your attorney can help you gather evidence and build a strong case to support your claims.

Once your case is prepared, your attorney may file a lawsuit against the news outlet or the individual responsible for publishing the article. If successful, the court may issue an order requiring the removal or correction of the false information and possibly award damages for any harm caused.

Remember, the process may vary depending on your jurisdiction, so it's crucial to consult with an attorney familiar with local laws to navigate your specific situation effectively.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.